AARCH64 compatability (Raspberry pi)

Hi

From learning the distributed nature and local testing, is there any possibility of having a docker image for aarch64? When I tried, found that there are lots of binary libraries, which are precompiled for intel platform.

Thanks

Hi @Nikhilesh_Sekar,

This would be a very interesting experiment! But unfortunately we do not have aarch64 binaries pre-built. cc @sanketh @bogdan @mbautin to confirm this. You might have to build your own binaries for those platforms, if you’re trying please reach out if you run into issues.

A few questions for my own understanding - what is the resources on a Raspberry pi (CPU, memory, disk)? Also, you’re asking about the docker image - do you run docker on Raspberry pi? If so, can it support any of the intel binaries?

Hi @karthik,

Currently, I have an ARM-based Kubernetes cluster built from 3 Raspberry Pi’s 4s, each of the Raspberry Pis has 4gb of RAM and is running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS 64 bit. Upon deploying the YugabyteDB image via helm, the nodes fail to come up with an exec format error error in the logs (common when running x86 images on ARM chipsets). However, by using Kubernetes NFS dynamic provisioning I was able to get the YugabyteDB PVC to bind properly.

In light of the above (there are no ARM binaries yet) I was wondering if it would be possible to build one; I am happy to give this a go myself but I am not really sure where to start so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is low lift I think it would be hugely beneficial for the educational and research fields.

Regards,
Henry.

@Henry_Hargreaves see docs on how to build from source: Build from source code on Ubuntu | YugabyteDB Docs

@dorian_yugabyte, will this allow me to run the image produced on ARM? And a Kubernetes cluster?

There was a user that tried to build on ARM previously Support compiling YB v2.0 for arm64 arch · Issue #2519 · yugabyte/yugabyte-db · GitHub